Skip to main content

Our history

With over 200 years of engineering excellence, Crown House Technologies (CHt) brings a wealth of knowledge and understanding that is unsurpassed within the construction and engineering sectors.

1810

The history of CHt stretches back to 1810, when Z. D. Berry started his own business manufacturing heavy kitchen equipment and swimming pool heating systems.

1967

Almost 160 years later, Richard Crittall developed a mechanical services operation, which included air-conditioning system design, and soon became a well respected name. As their individual reputations grew, the Crittal Company and the Berry Company merged in 1967, to form Richard Crittall and Z D Berry Limited.

1970

Meanwhile, F H Wheeler commenced trading in 1920 as Electrical Engineers & Contractors. The company growth was rapid and by the early 1970’s it had become one of the leading companies in its field – employing some 1,400 people and a turnover in excess of £6 million generated by its network of 12 branches.

1973

The companies merged to form Wheeler Crittall Berry Limited and thus began the emergence of a major new player in the newly termed ‘Building Services’ field. To complete the organisation provenance, the Furse Electrical Installations Company which was established in 1893, joined the other organisations in 1973 and the name Crown House Engineering was adopted.

1989

Their principal interests were in the provision of engineering services to the construction industry. The amalgamation enabled the Group to justifiably proclaim to be one of the largest multi-service companies in the UK. In 1989 Crown House Engineering became part of Tarmac plc.

1999

Following Tarmac’s decision to demerge its construction service activities, Crown House became part of the newly formed Carillion plc in July 1999 and played a key role in helping Carillion to establish itself as a leading construction and business services group.

2004

In June 2004, Crown House Engineering became part of Laing O’Rourke Limited. The acquisition and re-branding as Crown House Technologies enabled the Laing O’Rourke Group to move closer to its goal of total service provision in the delivery of major projects, with CHt providing advanced mechanical, electrical and communications solutions.

Over the last decade CHt has pioneered the use of Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA) and Digital Engineering (DE), so that today CHt can offer clients the industry’s most sustainable and efficient engineering solutions.